It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:48 pm

Post subject: A few issues/suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:45 pm 

So after about a hundred runs and 41 hours of play (because I love this game so incredibly much) I've noticed a few annoyances and one thing that seems to be an outright bug.

The bug: on endless mode, in the Tog-o-Drome room, if three Doomballs spawn one of them can disappear before dying. This makes the room uncompletable. It seems to happen when I jump right as the bosses spawn, and I end up inside one of them; the one I end up inside of seems to be the one to always disappear from the level. I can kill the other two and the various minions they spawn just fine, but they just keep spawning minions and the third Doomball is nowhere to be seen.

Some annoyances:
Some of the frequencies of rooms seem to be very disparate. I see some rooms constantly--almost every single run--but there are some rooms that I see maybe every ten or fifteen runs. I don't know if this is intentional, but I would personally like to see some tweaks in the room frequencies to bring them a bit more in line with each other. Or, allow the players to set the frequencies of the various rooms somehow?

The Force Hoppy dice roll makes some rooms almost completely unfinishable when you have a lot of jumps (like if you get the Jumpy Loot role earlier in a run). Especially if you have a few Jump Height++ badges. Again, this might be intentional, but it's incredibly frustrating when it does happen; if it were changed just to always jump when you hit the ground, and not to auto-jump in the air, I think it would be a lot less frustrating and a lot more fun.

There's no info on the pause screen! I'd love to be able to have an options menu (to, say, tweak sound or controls mid-game) and run statistics, kind of like the ending screen when it shows you what badges you have and what your stats are and all that.

And, a suggestion:
I would absolutely love to see a screen to tweak stuff in each run. Set custom difficulties, room frequencies, spawn counts, loot rates, all that sort of stuff. I don't know how hard it would be to implement, but it would be a hell of a lot of fun, I think, and could add a lot of replay value. It might also encourage challenge runs and the like. Obviously, I think you'd have to disable achievements in this mode, but I'd still love to see it added if possible.

Post subject: Re: A few issues/suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:11 am 
Site Admin

hi naeo! Thanks for posting--and thanks for playing so much ToG!

The doomball bug is one that I had been wrestling with for awhile now--I thought I had fixed it in one patch, and then it rebroke in another patch. I've actually taken a nuke-from-orbit approach and traded that enemy spawning configuration out for an entirely different one in the next patch--but that patch might not be for a little while yet.

As for your other comments, a lot of them are spot on. Some of them (like the options on the pause screen) were resolved in the console version, but that change can't be backported to the UDK version, unfortunately (for a few technical reasons, but also because it used proprietary Grip code which I don't have the rights to--they rebuilt the entire UI/Menu system using a system they'd been working on for awhile). The best thing I can do is tell you that I've learned a lot from those mishaps, and plan on not repeating them in my next project(s).

Anyway, thanks for being a fan and thanks for chiming in with your comments! :-)

Post subject: Re: A few issues/suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:34 pm 

Well, once I figured out that the Doomball bug seems to only happen when I spawn inside of it, I've just suppressed my instinct to jump when entering the room, and have encountered nary a problem with it since.

Thanks for the responses to the other points. I totally understand that there are technical issues with backporting the UI/pause screen, which is a bit unfortunate, but I've been playing without it for this long so I don't think it's going to kill me to not have it. :P