It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:36 am

Post subject: Odd severe fps drop when recording (only late game)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:59 am 

Hiya,

First some machine specs.

CPU: i7-3770K 3.5/3.9GHZ
RAM: 16gig
GPU: nVidia GTX 750Ti
Rec: nVidia Shadowplay 2.4.0.9

Some context.
I can play ToG just fine the exact FPS I am unsure but on Default ToG graphical settings it is certainly over 60. I also have a youtube channel so have been wanting to record ToG for the channel recently while recording it is still over 60 and consistently.

BUG:
Unfortunately there seems to be some sort of very weird and crippling FPS lag that will suddenly occur late game while I am recording. It has happened every time I have been recording and reached Logistics or more often Sanctum the game very suddenly and for no perceivable reason drops down into seconds per frame.

Now I have checked the usual suspects when this happens. 1.Stop recording, 2. Change level (yes I managed to get through sanctum at about 6 seconds per frame :P ), 3. wait

It never clears. once it has begun it will never clear up. If you stop shooting, or clear a room then the frame rate might come back up and allow you to run around but the moment you start shooting again you go back to frame hell.

There is one thing that works, quit the session and return to the menu. Don't even have to leave the game. Just quit the current session. Then when you load up a new session everything is back to normal. The problem with that is there is no continue feature.

This is what I mean by it being very strange. I haven't managed to have it occur when I am not recording at all, but by the same token it will still occur in the same session if I WAS recording.

So to recap.

1. severe and very sudden frame loss late game (logistics/sanctum) 60+FPS loss
2. only occurs when recording
3. will not return to normal if recording is quit during session
4. will not return if you wait
5. some recovery if all shooting stops, returns if you fire
6. FPS returns if you return to the menu (even when recording)
7. FPS stays recovered if you start a new session (even when recording)
8. FPS will fail again by the time you reach logistics / sanctum

SO I dunno about you but it seems to have something to do with session length? it is really hard to pin down anything about this other than one minute you are fine and happy and literally within a seconds notice your FPS has dropped like a rock.

Stranger to me is that even if I don't stop recording everything returns to normal if I start a new session.

If there is anything I can provide you with to help you, I would love to.

Thanks for the awesome game.

Post subject: Re: Odd severe fps drop when recording (only late game)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:19 am 
Site Admin

Huh..that's a really bizarre one. I've never used Shadowplay, so it might be related to that. Things do get very crazy in Logistics and Sanctum, so the frame rate does drop a bit there..but plenty of folks record Tower of Guns and have no issues, so maybe Shadowplay is a bit more intensive of a program and makes and framerate drop worse.

Your machine specs look good enough though..so here's some things to try:
1: Have you tried an alternate recording device, or even streaming, to see if the problem happens there?
2: Does the problem ever happen if you NEVER record?
3: Does the problem happen SOONER if you tilt-11 times right at the start of a match and go to Bullet Central, which is another CPU intensive level?
4: Have you tried restarting lately?
5: How much free space is on your hard drive? Clearing up a few more gigs might help, as odd as that sounds
6: Does this problem happen with any other Unreal 3x based games? Borderlands 2, Bioshock Inifinite, Batman: Arkham City, etc.

thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:17 am 

Hi Joe I have just recorded and edited together a little 5 minute show and tell to help document this better. I will post the link here when it is uploaded.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:17 am 

Alright, so here is the link to that 5 minute vid.

Hope it helps explain things better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbK5k5ms910

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

huh...yeah, this is really strange. Thanks for taking the time to make the video, that actually really does demonstrate the issue clearly. Having seen a lot of the usual performance degradation things with ToG, I can safely say that what you're experiencing is something very very different, maybe related to physics (since that particular gun does thrust the player back slightly)...or maybe related to Shadowplay...or maybe related to your CPU. It's really tough to pinpoint.

Shadowplay is still definitely the most "likely" culprit--that's mostly because I've never seen this issue, nor heard reports from anyone recording using Shadowplay, so new combinations like that tend to raise red flags. The best way to rule that out is to play a session without shadowplay running at all, or, alternately, dial down Shadowplay's capture settings to a minimum as a temporary test. This could be something as simple as Shadowplay having trouble juggling writing a longer video to disc with all the crazy bullets/projectile spawning in Tower of Guns (perhaps something similar to this fellow's issue: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... tuttering/) . I should ask, is your GPU all up to date, driver-wise?

If it's NOT a shadowplay issue, then it might be something very specific to your machine+Tower of Guns. We can try flipping some different flags in the .ini files, but, honestly I'm not incredibly optimistic. Still, let me know if bypassing shadowplay helps at all.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:40 pm 

So I was about to come by and say sorry that I hadn't got back to you in a while and that it had magically cleared up and started working just fine. Even managed to get a couple episodes recorded.

Then it happened again.

So I offically have no clue at this point and I think you are right about it being machine specific. I may just be SOL :(

I did by the way try Borderlands two and recorded it for a good two hours without issue. *shrug* Sorry Joe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

Huh...that's really really weird. Maybe it's related to caching this particular game's VOD in shadowplay..or how recently you restarted..or how temperamental windows is feeling that day... no need to apologize though, I wish I could be of more help!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:17 pm 

Joe!

IT has been discovered.

It's sound! the reason it affects me and not others is because I went skint on my mobo and my soundcard doesn't cache as much as others.

But for what ever reason it seems like ToG isn't cleaning up sound properly. you can force a cleanup by opening and closing another program that deals with sound.

This seems to be the case anyway and is about as specific as I managed to get.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Innnnnnnnnnteresting. I wonder if that's a core Unreal thing or if it's something that I'm doing wrong with UDK...(or both)..or some cocktail of UDK+your mobo. These sort of situations are the frustrating downside--for everyone--of developing for PC.

This is sounding like it might be something that's out of my ability to fix, but I'll ask around to some more knowledgeable friends and see if this rings any bells or if there's an .ini switch to help clamp some of the work the CPU is having to do for sound.

When you open/close another program that uses sound does it actually improve your performance for awhile, or is it only for a short moment and the performance degrades again quickly?

Also, thanks for the hint!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:19 pm 

Well a couple things it clears it up by opening another program (I have been using winamp, playing something, stopping and then closing it)

It doesn't clear it up for /as long/ as a fresh launch but it certainly clears it up.

AND I also found out that Dungeon Defenders 2 has the exact same problem for me.
And that is UDK(3) as well.