It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:01 pm

Post subject: Flashing screen and non responding video driver
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:29 pm 

Hello,

I have been playing ToG for a few hours and I enjoy quite a lot, but I've countered a few bugs and the main one for me is that my video card driver keeps not responding during the game causing the game to turn back for a few second and pausing the game. Then a few seconds later it goes back to normal, its happens quite often. Sometime my game also crash, but I am not quite sure. I did update my drivers and it did not help.

Its translate to:

The graphical driver NVIDIA windows kernel mode driver, version 340.52 was not responding.

Here are the specs of my computer:

gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
Intel i5 3570k
8go ram
Geforce gtx 670

Maybe the problem is on my side, but I never had this to me happen before and I play a lots of games.

Thank you,

Zverd

Post subject: Re: Flashing screen and non responding video driver
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:01 am 
Site Admin

Hi Zverd,
Thanks for picking up and supporting ToG. Sorry to hear about the crashes and video card issues. There haven't been too many stutters/crashes like you describe with ToG, but there have been a couple, so can you answer a few questions:

-Do you run other somewhat-new Unreal games ok? (Like borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite, etc)
-Are you running off of a Steam key or did you download the .exe from GoG/Humble/IGS?
-Is your card the 670GTX or the 670MX? If it's a mobile GPU and there's a shared Intell GPU in the machine you might need to update drivers for that too and/or set the machine to "high performance" mode. If you have the normal 670 GTX..that should be more than powerful enough for Tower of Guns
-Have you updated DirectX? If you're using Steam it *should* automatically do this for you...

-Joe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:58 am 

Hi,

The last unreal game I played was Tribes Ascend and I have no problems with it. Also maybe I played other indie games that run on the same engine, but I can't really remember.

I did buy my game on steam

It is the 670gtx, I am on a desktop computer.

Again I am on steam and I believe that DirectX is updated quite often. I could try to check and see if there is another version available.

edit: I tried playing another unreal engine game today (chivalry medieval warfare) and I had no problems with my graphic cards.

Thank you for the help

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, so if you're using Steam than directX shouldn't be an issue--that should have downloaded just fine.

I googled the issue and came up with this thread:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... uccessful/

That seems to suggest hardware issues like a loose cable...I can't understand why ONLY Tower of Guns would give you problems if that were the case though...unless Tower of Guns is making the GPU card work too hard. Here are a few things to try:

1: Try re-locking the FPSs in the UDKEngine.ini file (located in C:\\Steam directory\TowerofGuns\UDKGame\Config\):
by setting:
bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=60
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=64

That's normally not something gamers like to do, but it can smooth out wild framerate fluctuations. ToG doesn't limit the framerate normally, and that
*might* be causing your GPU to run wild, tripping something other games don't. I think this one is a longshot, but it's worth a try.

2: Do you play in windowed or fullscreen? Toggling that in the options might help.
3: Have you tried restarting your machine recently?

Here's another thread with some GPU specific things you might want to try: https://esports.geforce.com/forums/topi ... sponding-/

If this IS a GPU thing, I'm afraid I won't be much help. My technical skills are pretty limited. Please let me know if any of those help!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:16 am 

Thank you very much for your help.

Number 1 worked perfectly for me, I played until stage 13 without any single problem. Which is really great. I have Vsync turned off, maybe turning it on would have also corrected the problem, anyway it doesn't matter now.

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work, your game is very good and is also refreshing compared to the slow fps that we have nowadays!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Awesome--glad to hear that worked for you! :-) And thanks for supporting ToG!