It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:56 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: BugThread v1.0e: First Public Release Bug Report Thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:36 pm 

DeltaV wrote:
...At a certain heigh, I noticed the sawblades I shot vanished a split second after firing. They still hit things, so it's most likely a rendering issue. It persisted for a while, but I can't recall for how long.

Did they disappear altogether, or did they become visible again after a while? There's a known issue where shots can kind of disappear in front of the gun, but then pop into existence further along.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7tepBKACnU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:05 am 

If anything, I'd say it was exactly the opposite. They popped out of the gun, but then the projectiles just vanished. They still seemed to hit things, though, so it's more of a graphical bug than anything else.

EDIT: Found two holes, a small one in Foundry and a bigger one in Foyer. I tried to use the print screen button, but pasting it in an image editing program resulted in a black block. Any other way to screenshot stuff?

Also, perhaps a way to find those holes. Surround the rooms with elements that give off light, preferably with a specific colour, like disco. Should a bit of the wall light up, you've probably found a hole.

EDITEDIT: Beat the spike room boss in the foyer. The drop (a weapon mod) bounced off a giant spikeball and vanished.
EDITx3 COMBO: A HUGE gap in the ceiling in the first room of logistics. Upper secret, right side with your back facing the door to the next room, can't miss it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:00 pm 

I made some sort of a strange wierd observation today. It's not that this was kind of annoing or critical but I think I should have Joe know about it.

I was in Logistics and in this one big, gigantic room with... well,... how to describe it? t's that one with a lot of motivation gel and platforms beneath, above or side of them so you can somewhat reach all the way up the high ceiling for secret stuff. But it's not necessary to beat the room since you might just go from entry straight right, up a ramp and exit there - after you get rid of all the turrets which usually spawn there.
Funny thing is: This time, nothing AT ALL spawned in this room. I also went around and tried the motivation gels again, seeing if I could reach the ceiling, but failed - still nothing spawned either.

I feel like after 70 or so runs I should know the game better - still I sometimes think the trigger points for enemies are not *always* the same and so I thought it was here. But after playing with the room a lot there I think I just not just *miss* the trigger. There were no enemies.

Now as I said, this isn't really ciritcal for me at all. It's kinda like those surprises I would never expect - which I love about Tower of Guns. So if it's just a simple oversight in the enemy layout of this room, I'd say: Keep it in. But I dunno, it's up to Joe. Maybe there is something more behind this bug - this only being the symptom of a more serious problem. So in this case, I wanted to let you know.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:54 pm 

chris8bm wrote:
I made some sort of a strange wierd observation today. It's not that this was kind of annoing or critical but I think I should have Joe know about it.
Funny thing is: This time, nothing AT ALL spawned in this room. I also went around and tried the motivation gels again, seeing if I could reach the ceiling, but failed - still nothing spawned either.

This is true. A few versions ago blankslatejow changed the way spawns worked. It sued to be that as soon as you entered the room 90% of the enemies woudl spawn, and then a few more as you moved around. Now it's much more 'locational' and depends where you move to. In some rare cases, yes, nothing appears.

Just one question, did you hear any firing noises? If it's room I'm thinking of, it has issues with the enemies occasionally appearing under the floor. This is also how you see enemies outside the room in Battlements, etc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:58 am 

Quote:
Just one question, did you hear any firing noises? If it's room I'm thinking of, it has issues with the enemies occasionally appearing under the floor. This is also how you see enemies outside the room in Battlements, etc

In fact I remembered this too late. I had no sound on while playing and it didn't come to my mind before I finished the run. So I could not say if the enemies were spawning in the wrong places. :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:55 am 

That's indeed one of the cool things about this game, it remains surprising. One time, it even spawned a couple of hugbots instead of a few normal enemies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:44 am 

blankslatejoe wrote:
thanks guys! It'll be a little bit before I get to really dive into bugs, as I'm away all week at GDC, but this thread will be the first place I hit to start chipping away at things.

Most importantly, I'm going to take a stab at updating ToG to a newer UDK version. This sorta-risky endeavor will potentially solve the out of memory issues, which are the biggest bug in the game right now (because it's a hard crash). That means I might need help testing it before it ever touches steam. Any volunteers?

I volunteer for sure. Apart from having less free time than I would like at the moment, I'd definitely pour every minute into ToG whenever I can :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:46 am 

@DeltaV
That with the Hugbots - it's true. That was the exact same run in the first room (first enemy infested room) of the foyer. I thought this would be "kinda normal". Still it was the exact same run I also experienced the "no enemies in Logistics" glitch.
Like I said, if this would just be a minor thing I'd say leave it. Ot's what makes the game what it is. But who knows - maybe it's some weird memory corruption which at some point becomes serious.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:32 pm 

Alright, found myself a rather serious bug.
I was doing an endless run, and I was doing pretty well, because the shrapnel trumpet's projectiles are equivalent to pocket nukes. So after the second final final boss, I landed in the foyer.

With a speed of 0.

I believe I had a speed of 25 or more prior to that, so the change (my name, he he, physics) was kind of very noticable. It was silly, because I went at a literal snail's pace. So yeah, that needs a fix.

Also, is it me, or are firemines just there to be pretty? They barely do any damage, even when stacked (and I can confirm this, because the trumpet had a firemine mod, and shooting at my feet just sizzled the graphics card a little).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:47 pm 

Just a shot in the dark: In case this happens again, does it help if you tilt? I noticed when you tilt, Speed also goes to 0. Maybe when you spawn, it's a similar process and there was no proper speed reset after spawn. As said, just a shot in the dark.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next