It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:02 pm

Post subject: BugThread v1.0e: First Public Release Bug Report Thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:59 am 
Site Admin

So, I realized I hadn't made a public bug thread on here for the v1.0 release yet. If you come across any issues, please post them in here!
Thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: BugThread v1.0e: First Public Release Bug Report Thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:32 pm 

From Steam TOG Community group:

Serious
  • (Items already addressed by blankslatejoe there)

Holes or Minor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:57 am 

Not sure this is a bug or something else. I just went to play TOG in Steam and it said (paraphrased) "Cannot launch game. No executable found."

When I did a verify, it said that 668 files were missing and would be reloaded.

Is my computer going crazy or is something else going on with Steam updates or something? (I have Steam client set to 'Always keep this game up to date')

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:49 pm 

Was up on the battlements, fighting Chompsalot, when suddenly I noticed the door to the end of the level was open. After defeating one of them I decided to run through it. It closed behind me and Chompsalot came inside! Chomps could also move through walls sometimes, as it was far too small of a room for it.

This has only happened once so far, but I'm not sure what opened the door to begin with. I noticed it after those flying gunships (napoleon?) spawned. The gears that animate looked like they were missing, but I didn't get time to snapshot it while I was under fire.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:38 pm 

TreasureHunterM wrote:
...It closed behind me and Chompsalot came inside! Chomps could also move through walls sometimes, as it was far too small of a room for it.

Off-topic, but did anyone else notice this startlingly-appropriate similarity?
Yes, I fail at photochop...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:25 pm 

Chompsalot has the odd tendecy of clipping through the walls, I've experienced it too. Not sure, it might be intentional considering Chompsalot's gimmick is to clip through solid objects (the floor) anyway.

Some other bugs: the bouncy floatmines that explode when shot at (and have the tendency to chain-kaboom me into oblivion) sometimes bug out. They seem to be in the middle of the death-glow, being tinted in some shade of orange, but cannot explode.

Also, sometimes spinbots animate very jittery upon spawning, as if they got stuck into something. Flamethrower turrets move in a jittery fashion too, in contrast to the smooth turning of the regular turrets, though unlike spinbots flamethrowers suffer from it all the time.

And there is this graphical bug on the left hand above the health bar, displaying a bit of the town shown in the main menu. I can't recall if it occurs in rooms other than the Foyer (because I was getting shot at), but yeah, it happens in the Foyer, probably because it's the first room after the menu. Maybe Caketown too?

I hope I've been helpful or something!

EDIT: Flamethrower only jitter a little when taking aim at a player.

Also found a bug in the final level. No, not that one, yes, THAT one. Under the staircases is a walkthrough wall, but it doesn't house any kind of secret or anything, just a fall into the abyss.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:32 pm 

Hey folks,

First time here and after 50 runs I would like to share my observations. Some have been noted here already but I will try to add as much additional information in hope it helps Joe to track the bugs down quicker.

1) Some bots explode but don't disappear
So this has been said here already. It's mostly happening with those "exploding coconuts". I can see their explosion shockwave but they are still glowing like exploding, but never disappear and continue floating around.
However I saw this bug on another enemy type, too: The big bomb bots (dunno their real name, I mean the floating yellow things that home in on you and explode - the big variation). I saw this in the Battlements - on the huge bridge. And there I saw something else:

2) Bots don't move
Also these bomb bots - the big ones I saw on the bridge in Battlements. They usually spawn high up there and I saw it on two or three ocassions, where they never moved. I dunno if by coincidence, some of these then also suffered from the bug where they would not explode.

3) Bots "outside"
Also in Battlements I saw a few flying bots (those things with propellers on the bottom who shoot at you and move in rathe rerratic patterns) which basically spawned "outside". That is in a room where you have windows. And they were stuck on the other side. Actually I don't even mind this. Why shouldn't they spawn outside? I found this funny and would not mind if this didn't get fixed. And this gets me to Chompsalot. I also saw him outside! I has a bunch obf jumps, flying around and I could see him chomping through the air. And this goes to the next bug - also noted here:

4) Chompsalot door leading to elevator open before fight is over
Not much to say. Sometimes the door to the elevator opens, before Chompsalot is fully defeated. I don't know of course how the scripts of the game works so I simply experimented. I thought this might be triggered after ONE Chompsalot is defeated. And so I tried this with the Snowglobw Brows - and nope. After killing one of them, the door was still closed. I have no idea why Chompsalot causes this? Maybe because they dig "out" of the room and the game thinks they are all away? I could not test this, yet.

EDIT After I send it away it hit me like it always does: "you forgot one!"

5) Blue shell goes invisible
I noticed this one time that the blue shell would go invisible after some time. Means it was still doing damage (to me cause I ran right into it) but it wasn't visibly present. And after I saw this the second time I think I got a hunch where this comes from: Another powerup. So I think the safest way to reproduce this is as follows:
- Get the blue shell and activate it
- While blue shell is out, get a new powerup and activate it, too (maybe just collecting a new powerup will do this)
- Blue shell goes invisible but it can still hurt you

Other than that, I have not seen anything, I think. Nothing of these bugs I find is somewhat game breaking. It's really just very small things. More AAA games should have such standards. Right, Bethesda? :)

Last edited by chris8bm on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

thanks guys! It'll be a little bit before I get to really dive into bugs, as I'm away all week at GDC, but this thread will be the first place I hit to start chipping away at things.

Most importantly, I'm going to take a stab at updating ToG to a newer UDK version. This sorta-risky endeavor will potentially solve the out of memory issues, which are the biggest bug in the game right now (because it's a hard crash). That means I might need help testing it before it ever touches steam. Any volunteers?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:35 pm 

I got ToG from GOG since I don't have Steam but if I could still help testing, I'll gladly do so. I wouldn't mind doing this from a new save as well - depending on what you need/want.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:25 pm 

Sure, I wouldn't mind testing.

Also, a bug or two more, both occurred on Logistics. The first was Betty Bot projectiles turning invisible (which is downright cruel). This happened in the long room, with motivational jello and walls on one side of the room leading up to a secret. The other was pretty similar. I was using the pizza gun without pizza, in the high room of Logistics, with the jello going in a spiral. At a certain heigh, I noticed the sawblades I shot vanished a split second after firing. They still hit things, so it's most likely a rendering issue. It persisted for a while, but I can't recall for how long.