It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:53 am

Post subject: About those spikeballs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:17 pm 

As mentioned in the Greenlight forum, I have no problem with them generally, but at endless 10+ they just become insane, even rapid fire can't keep up!

Sample:

I don't think the difficulty should be toned down (it's good where it is) but I would like to see more interaction with the spikeballs.

How about:
  • Spikes damage all entities, including spikeball launchers but excepting spikeballs. This allows you to use the spikes as traps, turn the tables, draw fire on other launchers, etc
  • As you shoot the balls, this accelerates the shrink rate. This allows you to 'clear the decks' Also allows you remove entities if there are too many for your computer to handle
  • Maybe decrease the mass a bit so you can blast them around some more :)
  • Allow spikeballs to damage other spikeballs? Not sure what game effect this would have. Right now I get drifts of spikeballs, this might stop that. Also be cute to smash up balls against other balls to get rid of them.

Post subject: Re: About those spikeballs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hm..I'd be curious what your thoughts are with them in the new update: in general the spikeball turrets fire less often and their firerate is not allowed to scale with difficulty anymore (unless theyre a champion)

-as for changing their behaviors, well, I have to be a bit careful with these guys--these are a huge CPU sink already since theyre doing physics calculations all over the place...I'm hoping I canjust keep them IN, you know?

That said, shooting them to reduce their lifespan is a good idea! I'll add that to the list of things to tinker with.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:04 pm 

blankslatejoe wrote:
Hm..I'd be curious what your thoughts are with them in the new update: in general the spikeball turrets fire less often and their firerate is not allowed to scale with difficulty anymore (unless theyre a champion)

-as for changing their behaviors, well, I have to be a bit careful with these guys--these are a huge CPU sink already since theyre doing physics calculations all over the place...I'm hoping I canjust keep them IN, you know?

That said, shooting them to reduce their lifespan is a good idea! I'll add that to the list of things to tinker with.

I'd better wait until I see the new version then. (New version, omigosh!)

I think in normal play they're just fine (as mentioned previously) but in endless mode, they tend to go a bit berserk. The launchers fire so rapidly they pretty much carpet the floor with ouchies, so I was looking at design elements that might make that more manageable.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:28 pm 

I don't mind them really, although though can get a bit out of hand.

Basically, don't put yourself in a corner, find cover or fire full bore, and you're okay. The safest place to be is either behind the launcher or where is can't see you, preferably above it.

Point defence is okay unless you have the Kegerator. Not so cool.

Re: Getting stuck in this video. It's not something you can normally do. It happens if an explosion blows you into the corner under the ramp.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:48 am 
Site Admin

So, in general I feel like I've made the individual turret balance *mostly* acceptable now, but now I'm going through and pruning the spike launcher populations. This can be tricky, since they can randomly spawn in large droves in a lot of places--so if you find yourself in a spot like the one below or then post about it here and I'll know to go hit that area and cull out two or three turrets to help control the spamminess.

The spot in the video, though, I'm actually ok with, since you were presented with options about how to escape. I'm not ok with the 'getting stuck' part though. Hmm.. :-/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:25 pm 

blankslatejoe wrote:
So, in general I feel like I've made the individual turret balance *mostly* acceptable now, but now I'm going through and pruning the spike launcher populations. This can be tricky, since they can randomly spawn in large droves in a lot of places--so if you find yourself in a spot like the one below or then post about it here and I'll know to go hit that area and cull out two or three turrets to help control the spamminess.

The spot in the video, though, I'm actually ok with, since you were presented with options about how to escape. I'm not ok with the 'getting stuck' part though. Hmm.. :-/

Yeah, I'm still cool with turrets (damn homers aside) and yes, it was my choice to dive into cover; also had the kegerator, so again, my choice, I knew the risks. Pre-nuke cannons spawning in the sump I would immediately jump in there and work my way back, but now it's asking for multiple shells to the face. I've tried running around to the left and you usually get hammered by random fire, then swarmed. I don't normally run up the left ramp because if spikeball launchers spawn up there, it's a world of hurt. Bear in mind you have a fraction of a second to react (or be acting) as everything spawns!

With the spikeball launchers, I think they're ok. I could have gone up against them directly, and probably won; damn you kegerator fire rate :| . The only ones which really annoy me are the ones which spawn far up on a wall, or worse, directly above you on a ceiling. By the time you figure it out, you're knee-deep in spikes. Once again, mobility and finding cover is the key.

With getting stuck under the ramp, I've only ever managed it a couple of times, always as a result of a blast (my own mines, bombbot, etc). This could probably be fixed by putting in a small wall stopping you from hiding so far under the ramp. Also encourages more dynamic play than hiding and snapshotting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

I might go in and put those mini-walls in there to stop you, but there are a lot of those spots--so itd be a "polish pass" thing when im at 90%+ I think. Till then, starting with the next release (nov 15/16th) you should have a new button at your command: the TILT button, which on activation basically does the same thing as the positional reset item, warping you back to the door. That should save folks the hassle of ghosting out of clip spots and get them back in the action sooner....and it can be used quite tactically if you time it well, too!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:09 pm 

blankslatejoe wrote:
I might go in and put those mini-walls in there to stop you, but there are a lot of those spots--so itd be a "polish pass" thing when im at 90%+ I think. Till then, starting with the next release (nov 15/16th) you should have a new button at your command: the TILT button, which on activation basically does the same thing as the positional reset item, warping you back to the door. That should save folks the hassle of ghosting out of clip spots and get them back in the action sooner....and it can be used quite tactically if you time it well, too!

No problems, I know you're trying hard to get to completion, if you could just note these minor things for later attention that would be great.

TILT sounds great. Now make it so if you spam it up too much, game over. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

It's actually got a hearthstone style chargeup, during which you can't move, that keeps the abuse somewhat limited--but it still can be pretty useful in a bind...and certainly serves its purpose it you get stuck. :)