It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:57 pm

Post subject: Incoming Difficulty Hotfix for build 0.56 Jigsaw
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hey folks!

A pretty crucial gamebreaking bug regarding the difficulty curve was brought to my attention by the Youtuber PIxelTwitch. We were able to get the bug resolved and it was major enough that I'm going to ask humble to push a hotfix build. If you find yourself infuriated at the stupidly weird difficulty spikes of build 0.56, then the new build (hopefully available tomorrow) should even out the experience a little.

Thanks to PixelTwitch for his thorough detective work! Here's his channel for those who want to go say hi: http://www.youtube.com/user/PixelTwitch

Post subject: Re: Incoming Difficulty Hotfix for build 0.56 Jigsaw
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:04 pm 

I don't mind the difficulty. Knowing your death may well be in the next room adds a certain spice to the game.

The only thing that bugs me is how good the purple plasma launchers are.

If you have no cover and no speed++ they're pretty hard to evade, especially if you're busy elsewhere and don't notice them. They can also fire from outside depth of field range, so the first thing you know about it is when purple fireballs start appearing.

I was one-shotted by one not that long ago and just got killed in the fiery maw foundry room - there was a whole bunch of them on a ledge and I was trying to stay under it but a swarm of floaters was in there as well, so I was getting shot from above and below.

If you wanted to make them a bit easier, I'd recommend:
  • Reducing the turn rate of the missile, or
  • Slowing down the missile, or
  • Halving the health of the turret, so it becomes fragile, but very damaging

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Heh, the hotfix doesnt address those sorts of difficulty (good suggestions though!)--this was a difficulty involving the "difficulty badge itself" and how it could randomly add a BAJILLION to the difficulty of the game---even if you never pick it up! Weird, eh?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:12 am 

blankslatejoe wrote:
Heh, the hotfix doesnt address those sorts of difficulty (good suggestions though!)--this was a difficulty involving the "difficulty badge itself" and how it could randomly add a BAJILLION to the difficulty of the game---even if you never pick it up! Weird, eh?

Ah. I guess I haven't seen it then. I just gambled on three '?' badges, and each one was Difficulty++. Dammit. Needless to say my game did not last long after that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Hmm..the bug might not have appeared with the 'random' badge...but yeah, if you picked up any pure difficulty badges, up OR down, it might have done really goofy things to your game...like making it nearly impossible.

Anyway, the new build is now up at your humble accounts!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:09 pm 

I'm starting to think I need a topic thread for purple plasma turrets all to themselves... :\

Check this one out, blankslatejoe. I have no idea how this happened. Hit by plasma out of the jelly, and then holding state somehow. Hmmm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

I think thats related to the demotivational jelly--I think if you take damage RIGHT when you exit it--it doesnt ever 'remove' the slow effect. It's been on my list to investigate for awhile now...and I thought I'd built in a failsafe to stop it from happening...but I guess not!