It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:45 am

Post subject: Sept 26th build - READY TO GO
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

Good afternoon all you good-looking ToG-Pre-Orderers!

A new version of Tower of Guns has been released into the wild.

This version takes the game up from v0.42 to v0.56. That means I'm OFFICIALLY over the halfway mark. At this point it just makes more sense to continue on rather than turn back, right? Yeah, my wife didn't think that was very funny either.

Anyway, this new build features a ton of new stuff including:
  • No new stages! (Sorry, I'll hopefully get to add more stages next build)
  • New rooms for Logistics, Foyer, and Foundry stages (not Gearworks though)
  • A new "badge system" for stat upgrades: This changes some familiar drops like HealthUP and SpeedUP but also adds a ton of things like LuckUP and DifficultyUP (wait, what, really?). All badges are available as drops AND from shops now.
  • I've actually populated all levels with more shop spawn locations—collecting money has a purpose now!
  • There's magnet-loot now. It's short range but you don't have to be-quite- so precise now when running around to pick up loot.
  • There's a ton of new things: items, mobs, bosses, and loot types.
  • Fall-through-world countermeasures: I've plugged up tons of geometry holes, but there are likely some I have not found yet. However, falling out of the map is NO LONGER a game-ender...give yourself a few seconds and you should teleport back to the door you just passed through and back into the action.
  • Customizable keybinds! For all you anti-WASD folks, have at it! I don't have a controller though, so I have yet to test this with rebinding-controller-buttons. I have hopes that it just 'works' though.
  • Champions and special mobs: Tougher, faster, and more colorful than your
    normal enemies!
  • Mastered audio tracks (with more on the way!)
  • Began work on some optimization—however that means that performance might actually be WORSE, as I haven't exposed any options yet in the menus...so right now the values of some things are cranked by default. My apologies if framerate is a bit shaky in places.
  • New jump icons, menu cursor, and lots of little art fixes!

Big known issues:
  • Enemies seem to get easily confused/stuck this build.
  • Guys, I totally busted the "Collection" menu's item display. Sorry about that. Deaths/shots still work right though.
  • The difficulty curve can be...sporadic. Given so many system changes this time around there are certain rooms that are basically just "insta-death rooms". Personally, I have yet to beat Logistics in this build...so if you manage it either you rolled a really lucky build or you're better than me. Difficulty will, of course, continue to be refined throughout the entire project.

HOW TO GET THE NEW BUILD:
Assuming you set up a humble store account:
  • Go to humblebundle.com/home and log in. You should be able to find Tower
    of Guns on your library shelf there.
  • If you did not create a humble account or for some reason don't have Tower of Guns tied to it (since it's possible to buy Tower of Guns without logging in to a Humble account) you'll need to dig up your original purchase email and click the link in it again. That should get you your build!
And, as always, you can leave feedback at forum.towerofguns.com and feedback.towerofguns.com (which takes you to a fancy 5-minute survey!)

Thanks so much! I hope you like the changes!
-Joe

Post subject: Re: Sept 26th build - READY TO GO
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:15 pm 

blankslatejoe wrote:
A new version of Tower of Guns has been released into the wild.
This version takes the game up from v0.42 to v0.56. That means I'm OFFICIALLY over the halfway mark. At this point it just makes more sense to continue on rather than turn back, right? Yeah, my wife didn't think that was very funny either.

A wild Alpha ToG appears

YAY! (Already seeding HB torrent :))

Looks great, I have only had a few quick plays this morning, will post a review later when I have something worth saying.

With your wife, next time she is "more than half way there" stop, and ask her if it's worth finishing. ;) ;)

Addendum:
Update this news with a Greenlight announcement?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:36 am 
Site Admin

Haha-I will indeed post a steam announcement shortly! It was on my list, I just got too tired last night and am prone to make mistakes when I'm tired. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:35 pm 

Hey !
Thanks for this update :mrgreen:
The new stuff looks pretty good, awesome work like always.

Praise the Joe !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:03 am 

Bindable keys, yes! Finally I am able to play the game. Two issues I experienced though.

1. You can't rebind Mouse1 for some reason, which is a fairly significant issue for me personally.

2. Minor complaint, but you listed the controls in the order forward, back, right and left. Rather than the standard of forward, back, left and right. Made me accidentially invert my bindings for the strafe keys as I wasn't paying close enough attention to notice this the first time. So when I entered the game I had to exit again so I could rebind the keys properly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:07 am 
Site Admin

Ohh..I didnt even think about that left/right thing. As for mouse1--that's a pretty big nuisance to rebind actually--you can ADD to the 'fire' bindings, but mouse1 itself is used for the menu clicks and such it's bind is kind of treated differently than the others. I *might* be able to split the menu input from the game input though. Let me mull on that one awhile.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:31 pm 

blankslatejoe wrote:
Ohh..I didnt even think about that left/right thing. As for mouse1--that's a pretty big nuisance to rebind actually--you can ADD to the 'fire' bindings, but mouse1 itself is used for the menu clicks and such it's bind is kind of treated differently than the others. I *might* be able to split the menu input from the game input though. Let me mull on that one awhile.

Yea, Paul (of NeonXSZ) said this was a bitch to do. Apparently Unity treats it specially.

This version is much harder than before, mostly because of the huge nuke cannons(?) and especially the purple plasma launchers that follow you. The last almost always ends in tears. I particularly like the lava turntable where you stop thinking you're safe, then plasma arcs down on top of you. Grrr!

Just because :P

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:58 am 

blankslatejoe wrote:

Yeah, it does allow me to bind the spacebar to fire like I want to. But I can't bind mouse1 to jump like I want to. Which really screws with my muscle memory. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:00 pm 

kristus wrote:
Yeah, it does allow me to bind the spacebar to fire like I want to. But I can't bind mouse1 to jump like I want to. Which really screws with my muscle memory. ;)

That's really interesting kristus. In all my years of langaming, I've never seen that. Have you been doing that long? I kind of know how you feel, with Zigfrak even though it's a third-person perspective shooter (behind the ship) you don't actually use the mouse to fire weapons, you can have up to five(!) weapons mounted and it would be crazy to use all the mouse buttons for that. Retraining myself to use the keyboard to fire was... annoying.

I was actually thinking about going old-school and binding jump to mouse2 (Unity mouse1) but I was holding off as I was hoping Joe would implement an alt-fire system, Unreal style. It seems only fair that if we only get one weapon, it can at least have two fire modes, right Joe? hint, hint, nudge, wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:52 am 

I'd rather he add multiple weapons since I hate using only one weapon, and I never been a fan of alt fire.

Anyway, I started doing it as I got invested in playing Quake Live, since the movement system is so complex there that it was easier to jump on the mouse than by using space while manouvering the rest of the controls for strafe jumping.

But I also chose to use space to fire instead of mouse1 because I then let off pressure from my arm and hand's muscles as I am aiming.