It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:49 am

Post subject: Interested in ToG Devblog stuff?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi guys, I just wanted to post a couple of links to two ToG devblogs, for anyone interested.

The first is my tumblr page, which has boring stuff, but I post pretty much every day. It says literally things like "-Fixed a collision problem in this arena" and "-tuned balance of egon gun" and boring such things..but I do clock my daily time there. It's important to note I'm...quirkily-obsessive about time-clocking...I literally stop the clock if I go to the restroom or switch tabs to facebook or whatever...and you'd be surprised how hard it can be to hit 8 hours when you micro-track!
Link: http://blankslatejoe.tumblr.com/

The other devblog is a bit more highlevel, but I wanted to contibute a bit to the TigSource indiedev gaming forums. I hope to post more visual sorts of updates: art, screens, etc here:

Link: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=36076.0

Why don't I just log here? I might, in the future!

The tumblr is pretty much a personal tracker "for me" that happens to be public, so I might never transfer that over, but the TigSource thread is one I wanted to create because I feel that, as an indie developer, I'm being negligent by NOT participating in a forum like TigSource, where I've learned a lot by lurking.

Don't worry, I'll certainly keep posting threads about major news or any important update announcements in here. Those links are just for those who like to see the sausage-being-made. :-)

Post subject: Re: Interested in ToG Devblog stuff
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:34 pm 

blankslatejoe wrote:
H..but I do clock my daily time there. It's important to note I'm...quirkily-obsessive about time-clocking...I literally stop the clock if I go to the restroom or switch tabs to facebook or whatever...and you'd be surprised how hard it can be to hit 8 hours when you micro-track!

Ah. I was wondering how you managed to keep such spooky exact time tracking. I'm in applications development\GIS\DBA myself, and while I might spend about seven hours a day in the office, not all of that is actual coding time. Not least because I also do basic desktop support for my branch. Dammit.

Your method reminds me very much of John Chapman, who wrote the bushwalker's 'bible' to walking Tasmania's Wilderness. In a very similar process, he records (and advises) on walking time only, which he records in a similar exacting way to yourself. As in, he literally stops his stopwatch every time he stops for a drink, re-hitch his backpack, look at the map, etc.

This inevitably leads to trouble as newbies to the craft read "6 hours" as the entire leg time, even though Mr Chapman is very clear about his method and it will take much longer. The trail cabin log books are filled with schadenfreude stories of woe.

Post subject: Re: Interested in ToG Devblog stuff?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

I actually use a handle little free website called Toggl for my tracking--its like a chess-clock with a history view and quick 'tags' and 'projects'. It makes things pretty simple to track, and then I just post my daily total over on the tumblr. In theory I should have a total at the end of the project too, showing how long ToG took to make in total! We'll see. :)