It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:38 pm

Post subject: Such AWESOME
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:56 pm 

Well...I have to say...this game is an unexpected favorite of mine now.

I have always been a huge fan of the "rouge-lite" style of games but this one takes it to a little different level. The FPS aspect coupled with the absurdity of some of the mod combinations and the goofy dialog and storytelling is just...I don't know the words to accurately describe it...enchanting? Captivating? Orgasmic?

I found Crow's Nest on accident and about shat myself...and that was after several successful playthroughs. I also just read that there are several hidden and secret guns. All of these little surprises are the lifeblood of games like this, BoI, FTL, etc...and ToG blends them seamlessly with such amazing, fast paced, game play.

A few questions (if anyone feels kind and wants to answer them - lest I be forced to google around and dig through spoilers and such):

1) My endless mode run last night lasted about 1.5 hours and never really got any more difficult (I think 4 cycles through). Does it get progressively more difficult?

2) How is endless mode ranked?

3) Is their future intention of expansion is are we playing a finished product?

Thanks again for all of the awesomeness that is ToG!

Post subject: Re: Such AWESOME
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

thanks for the kind word mrtannerwold! It sounds like you were the kind of gamer I made the game for!

For your questions:
Endless mode DOES get progressively harder, but I've never quite been happy with the curve-if you have a good run going the 13-20 endless levels won't be too tough. By 25 things are treacherous. By 30-33, any wrong move means instant death.

As for ranking, I can't remember the algorithm--it's some combination of endless-level reached+money, so you can't just speedrun the levels and expect to be on top.

As for future content--I had a lot of ideas for ToG that didn't make it in but there had to be a point where I called the game done or else I would have been at it forever. I plan on taking all those other ideas I had--and all the lessons I've learned while making ToG--and applying them toward my next project.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:23 am 

SPOILER ALERT

I finished a solid endless run last night and realized that I didn't give it enough time to get difficult. My 1st run was with the hand-cannon/no-self-damage (devastating combo in itself) with shotgun mod...that felt pretty solid but I gave up and went to bed at about the 1.5h mark...that was probably about the time it was getting ready to get difficult, lol.

Last nights run with the mini-LHC/perma-loot and shotgun (later vamp) went to almost the 3 hour mark and toward the end it was getting pretty damn ridiculous, lol. I did land a slot at around rank 500 with the run though...and I'm hooked. My 1st run was just as the new patch got released and was downloading so it didn't get ranked...I would have loved to have a comparison.

A few more questions if I can trouble you:

1) The algorithm for scoring. I had about 8k coin and was at around level 30-35ish (didn't count but that is probably a fair guess) and landed 30k+ points. I know I spend a lot of coins so I am assuming that it takes into account the number of coins picked up and not the number left when you die...but I also noticed something that may be a bug. When taking to the sky to get the little secret cashe at the top of the tower, most notably the large red coins, they do not add to the coin total displayed in the top left. It might be that they do add to score though?

2) Does the choice of gun or perk effect score at all? I am assuming that certain perks yield their own sorts of bonuses (presuming that champion mobs drop better items than regulars).

3) Is it possible to get the secret hugbot level in endless? In my two runs I never did...but that could simply be rng. After 4-5 passes through I started killing the large group after the last boss but never killed any in the 25 stages prior. I would figure that I would have seen it by now if it was allowed to spawn in endless.

4) Special guns: Do they drop from mobs or are they hidden in secret areas? I have yet to see one but I haven't gotten above 50% secrets found in probably 80% of the levels so it is possible that I am simply missing them hidden and need to search better :P

Thanks again for the amazing game...I am sad to hear it is a finished product but excited at the thought of you starting another project :) Be sure to send out an email or make a post when you do...perhaps even do a kickstarter...so us fans of the game can toss ya a little support.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi again MrTannerworld!

--if the redcoins did NOT add to your coin total..something is wrong. They're prettyrare, so I wouldn't be surprised if that slipped by Grip and Sony unnoticed. I'll send them a note about it. As for the algorithm, I'm not sure how Grip implemented it in the end. I have the rough algorithm in an email, but it's a unique-to-console feature, and I'm not sure if Grip added coins to score on pickup or on death. From your experiment it sounds like it's on-pickup.

--it IS possible to get hugbot alley on endless..but not if you do certain things.

--special guns drop mostly in secrets, and occasionally in shops. I think there's a VERY rare chance they'll drop from a champion. The better you get at learning the secrets the more likely you will be to find them--especially on the second loop of an endless run when you have a lot of jumps and can get to harder to reach secrets.

Thanks again for playing. My apologies again for the frustrations you were experiencing in that other thread--it sounds like you're playing at a very high level of endless mode and that might be where the instabilities are being introduced. I'll pass your clues to Grip and perhaps they'll be able to figure out where the crash is originating from.