It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:48 am

Post subject: Stuck on score screen after The Foyer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:12 pm 

Hey there,

I recently bought the Humble version of ToG (as GOG did not have any Linux support).

Running the game works fine on my Ubuntu Linux 14.04 64bit with AMD quad core and Radeon R7 240 graphics adapter. Performance is ok. I can play the Foyer without any gameplay trouble. After 5 deaths, I can play Cakeland (or whatever it is called) and the Foyer.

After the Foyer I am presented with the score screen which plays through to "press space / A to continue". However, this does not work. A sound snippet plays on repeat, I can trigger the snippet to restart by pushing any button. There is no way (at least via button pushing) to get into the next stage or back to menu. I can use Alt+F4 to close the application and it shuts down normally. The game will stay in this state for at least 30min.

I have verified that I am not running demo mode. This happened on multiple play"through"s, with both pistol and pizza gun.

You can find the console log here. The critical time is, when

Code:
[0326.63] ScriptLog: TPC: In IgnoreInput State

is output every second or so. This log has only a waiting period of 3 minutes or so.

I have been using the DRM-free Linux version (downloaded approx. 3 days ago). I will give the Steam version a try, if my conscience lets me. ;)

Any help is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Stuck on score screen after The Foyer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hi PiHalbe
So this is a weird one..and a tricky one for me to diagnose, as I think we're dancing around code that the guys who worked with me and Humble Bundle on the port have updated, so my understanding of what's going on in that specific spot in the code might be outdated.

It looks like the game might be "destroying" the player in between the stats showing up and the time where it looks the ignoreinput on the log, resulting in the ignoreinput call never getting, well, uncalled. If it were as straightforward as that though then a LOT more people would have this issue, and so far you are the first (that I know of, at least).

I'll draft up an email to the linux guys and see what they think, but given the holidays and their work schedule, the reply might be slow in coming.

In the meantime, here are a few questions for you:
1-Are you using a gamepad or the keyboard? If you haven't tried the keyboard, do escape/space/enter do anything when things are locked up?

2-Can you enable the console (be sure to hit commit!) and then, once things are frozen after the foyer, does the tilde key work? If so, does the "Tog_imlame skip" command work? (it should skip to the next stage) If so, did it SAVE your gunlevel and such (that will tell me more on where it had trouble)

3-Do you tap buttons or keys to accelerate the "Stat Menu" after finishing a level? If not, give that a try.

Anyway, my apologies for the issue. Hopefully we can figure this one out and its something straightforward.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, testing the steam version *might* help...but the two builds should be pretty identical. Still, more people have played the steam build than the non steam builds..so it's definitely more "proven" and is worth a shot if you have a steam acct.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:49 pm 

So, I tried again.

Enabling the console works. I could enter the lame skip command. Weirdly, it appeared to open the door just the slightest bit, then got stuck again. When I entered the code again, it closed back.

Entering escape or other commands did not work.

In one run, I got a slightly differnet bug, where it would not even display any scores, but I could move and fire (not seeing anything except the "doors"). Then, escape would work. the lame skip command would not make any difference, then.

I might get back ot the steam version tomorrow.

EDIT: I always use mouse and keyboard, no gaming pad attached.

Hitting the buttoins to speed up the scores did not help (though it got me to "the slightly different bug" once, see above).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:25 pm 

I just tried the Steam version (still the same machine / OS). No problem at all, I entered gearworks in two of two games.

Also, the .sh version appeared to have problem with some language files. It would display only the first few lore entries correctly, after that just a generic ToG icon appeared with some "?DEU?*******" message, where apparently it could not load the German language file. I'm playing on a German OS. Steam version does not have this problem and simply displays English lore.

Maybe this helps to narrow down the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm. it might. There's certainly something very very strange going on with your situation...I've never heard of a case of so many things going so catastrophically wrong for a single user like this.

My apologies that this is not exactly a great gaming experience for you. I wish I knew a bit more about what was going on.

If the game is displaying the debug lore text and image, perhaps it wasn't able to find the .int files...but hey, at least the game worked correctly. That leads me to think that something in the way Steam installed the game and something in the way the standalone did it cause the progression issues, because otherwise they are pretty much identical builds.

Can you describe what you mean by "first few" lore bits though? Do you mean the first few "runs" looked ok and then after that it started displaying the debug text/image, or do you mean the first dialog lines of EVERY run look ok, and then it gets garbled?

If its the first one, that might mean you don't have the lore .int files for some reason...If it's the second one, well..that could be a save file issue. A save file issue *might* cause some of the issues you were seeing on the standalone version of the game as well.. do you happen to install to a unique location? Could you have try running the game with admin privileges (or whatever the linux equivalent is)?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:46 pm 

All files (both from the build and the configs) are read/write for my user.

I noticed that one config file mentioned a save directory which I could not find anywhere.

Code:
Config/Linux-UDKEngine.ini:1203:ProfileDataDirectory=../UDKGame/SaveData

I created the following directory:

Code:
~/.local/share/TerriblePostureGames/TowerOfGuns/UDKGame/SaveData

However, it did not appear to solve the problem.

I recorded a video of my last run. I got you a glimpse of my options and the tragedy starts around 4:00 (if you don't mind my playstyle before). The audio garbling is an effect of me pushing fire and other buttons. I quit using window controls (Alt+F4).

(Performance is way better without the video recording.)

You can see the first few lore snippets in the video. After that it's a near constant stream of ?DEU? messages.

Below are the files in my Localization folder.

Code:
tree UDKGame/Localization
├── DEU
│   ├── PS3.deu
│   ├── Subtitles.deu
│   ├── udkgameui.DEU
│   ├── UTGameContent.deu
│   ├── UTGameCredits.deu
│   ├── utgame.deu
│   └── UTGameUI.deu
├── ESN
│   ├── PS3.esn
│   ├── Subtitles.esn
│   ├── udkgameui.ESN
│   ├── UTGameContent.esn
│   ├── UTGameCredits.esn
│   ├── utgame.esn
│   └── UTGameUI.esn
├── FRA
│   ├── PS3.fra
│   ├── Subtitles.fra
│   ├── udkgameui.FRA
│   ├── UTGameContent.fra
│   ├── UTGameCredits.fra
│   ├── utgame.fra
│   └── UTGameUI.fra
├── INT
│   ├── CastleGame.int
│   ├── EditorMapTemplates.int
│   ├── GFxUI.int
│   ├── NwwChar-Sheet.txt
│   ├── PS3.int
│   ├── Story0.int
│   ├── Story10.int
│   ├── Story11.int
│   ├── Story12.int
│   ├── Story13.int
│   ├── Story14.int
│   ├── Story15.int
│   ├── Story16.int
│   ├── Story17.int
│   ├── Story18.int
│   ├── Story19.int
│   ├── Story1.Int
│   ├── Story20.int
│   ├── Story21.Int
│   ├── Story22.Int
│   ├── Story23.Int
│   ├── Story24.int
│   ├── Story25.int
│   ├── Story26.int
│   ├── Story2.Int
│   ├── Story3.int
│   ├── Story4.int
│   ├── Story5.int
│   ├── Story6.Int
│   ├── Story7.Int
│   ├── Story8.int
│   ├── Story999.int
│   ├── Story9.int
│   ├── Subtitles.int
│   ├── UDKGameUI.int
│   ├── UTGameContent.int
│   ├── utgame.int
│   └── UTGameUI.int
├── ITA
│   ├── PS3.ita
│   ├── Subtitles.ita
│   ├── udkgameui.ITA
│   ├── UTGameContent.ita
│   ├── UTGameCredits.ita
│   ├── utgame.ita
│   └── UTGameUI.ita
└── XXX
    ├── GearAwards.RUS
    ├── GearGameContent.RUS
    ├── GearGame.CZE
    ├── GearGame.RUS
    ├── level_poi.RUS
    ├── Test_ANSI.xxx
    ├── Test_ASCII.xxx
    ├── Test_UTF16BENOBOM.xxx
    ├── Test_UTF16BE.xxx
    ├── Test_UTF16NOBOM.xxx
    ├── Test_UTF16.xxx
    ├── Test_UTF32.xxx
    ├── Test_UTF8NOBOM.xxx
    └── Test_UTF8.xxx

6 directories, 80 files

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:05 pm 

I also tried adding

Code:
Linux-UDKEngine.ini:532:AutoSaveDir=..\..\UDKGame\Autosaves

Code:
Config/Linux-UDKEngine.ini:1203:ProfileDataDirectory=../UDKGame/SaveData

to the directory of the build … to no avail.

Note that the game stores my deaths and my unlocked guns. So some sort of saves appear to be created …

Weird. O_o

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi PiHalbe!
Well, the deaths and unlocks are saved in a file called gamestate.bin, but the per-run progression is saved in a file called localgamestate.bin--that's like your health, weapon level, and other such stuff...so it sounds like it's that localgamestate.bin file that's having troubles, for whatever reason.

If you run a search on your machine for those filenames, do they show up? If so, in what directories?

As for your video--the first thing that's strange is the oddness of the dialog..I've never seen ?DEU? --it should say, if it errors at all--?INT? there if it fails to find something.

That makes me feel like for some odd reason the game is using Unreal's localization for German, which aren't set up in the game (the game only uses the INT international files, as you saw when you browsed to them). I'd be shocked if UE autodetected from the OS (you said you were on a German OS)..because you really would think this would have popped up before. Perhaps it did some detection during install though. Regardless, we might be able to force the game to use the INT (and only) version of the localization files.

If you go into InstallDirectory\UDKGame\Config\ there should be a file called UDKengine.ini. In that there should be a line that says "Language="

Basically, we want to make sure that that says "Language=INT" everywhere in that file. There are similar files in the ToG directories (a BaseEngine.ini and a DefaultEngine.ini, but those are backups used to generate the UDKEngine.ini file, which *should* be the one used during runtime).

If you don't mind, please check to see if the language is set to INT. I'm not optimistic that that will fix the hung-level problem though. While, I do suspect the hung-level problem is related to the German OS and the game being confused about directories, this would only likely fix the Lore/Dialog issue.

If the config file is already SET to "Language=INT" then... uh...some dark and scary black magic stuff is going on here.

Sorry again for this hassle. If we reach the point where I'm unable to help further, I might be able to offer a refund, since you said you got the game off of humble--was it from the normal store or through the recent Humble Bundle? I'd have to check their refund policy and their back-end/developer tools to see if they allow an easy method for me to do that.

Let me know, and happy holidays!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:38 am 

In my Config directory, I find the following, looking for "Language" in all files:

Code:
Linux-UDKEngine.ini:Language=INT
Linux-UDKEngine.ini:bAllowMatureLanguage=FALSE

So, it's some kind of black magic, indeed …

I found both gamestate files in the binaries (not the local user config) directory:

Code:
-rw------- 1 achim achim 36349 Dez 17 23:02 ./Binaries/Linux/GameState.Bin
-rw------- 1 achim achim  1891 Dez 17 23:02 ./Binaries/Linux/LocalGameState.Bin

So both are non-empty and were modified when I last played ToG. I found this entry in LocalGameState.Bin:

Code:
l02_brain.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.

Is that the level save? I attached these files, in case it's any use.

Don't worry about the refund. Before I do not play ToG, I will play the Steam version. I'm just really puzzled (and don't like Steam all that much).

Nice holidays to you, too!

Attachments:
ToG-PiHalbe-GameState.zip [3.75 KiB]
Downloaded 552 times