It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:49 am

Post subject: Linux Help Thread!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Folks--now that the Linux build is out, I can unsticky the Linux thread and post this one instead. You'll have to bear with me a bit in this thread, as I'm not a linux user myself, nor did I develop the Linux port myself, so this is a whole new world to me!

The following FAQ was compiled by Chris, my awesome Linux QA helper!

GENERAL INFORMATION:
----------------
Within the game installation directory, you find a file called README.linux. Please consult this file first if you run into any trouble.

Also it is highly advised to use the proprietary drivers for your video card. Open drivers (i.e. MESA/Gallium) can work, depending on your chip but you might experience performance issues and/or incorrect game rendering.

-----------
The game will not launch!

Please try to start the game via console by executing the shellscript TowerOfGuns.sh. It should display an error message. Shortly after. This should help us to identify the issue.
-----------------------

The crashes on startup with the Error message:
"error while loading shared libraries: libopenal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".

Please make sure to install the OpenAL. In case you run a 64-bit (x86_64) Distribution, you will need the lib32 version of it. Most Linux Distributions offer this library right out of the box, so you should be able to install it using your package manager.

---------------
I experience microshuttering or short spikes of lag.

Try to launch the game with the command-line argument "-NoVerifyGC". This should solve it. Feel free to apply this argument to your Desktop shortcut or - more conviniently - add it to the TowerOfGuns.sh shellscript. To do that, just open TowerOfGuns.sh with your favorite text editor and modify it like this:
#!/bin/sh
cd "$(dirname "$0")"/Binaries/Linux
./UDKGame-Linux -NoVerifyGC $@
-----------
The game performance seems poor when enemies spawn or fire.

There are several thing you can try out to maximaize the performance.
1) Please make sure to disable any Desktop/Composite Effects before launching the game. How you do that depends on which Desktop/Window Manager you use. In doubt, please check the documentation of your Desktop/Window Manager.
2) Many Linux Distributions will utilize the poversaving capabilities of your processor to save energy and keep it cool. They will usually clock up maximum speed when needed, but this might not be quite fast enough for the game, resulting in FPS drops when the action starts. Because of that, it may be a good idea to disable powersaving for as long as you play the game.
On Ubuntu, you can set your CPU to use the maximum clock using a program like cpufreq-set: "sudo cpufreq-set -g performance". After playing, you can restore the previous behaviour using: "sudo cpufreq-set -g ondemand".
If you have configured your system to utilize a Desktop Applet to change the CPU powerlevels, you can of course use those to reach the same effect. On other Distributions, the programs used to manage the CPU powersaving might differ. In doubt, please check the documentation of your Distribution.

---------------
I get no sound/music!
This usually happens when Pulseaudio is used but it is not configured to support ALSA playback (which Tower Of Guns uses).
Make sure that you have installed the alsa plugins package. On Ubuntu/Debian it should be called libasound2-plugins, while for other Distributions, it can be called different, like alsa-plugins.
If you run a 64-bit (x86_64) Distribution, please make sure that you install the 32-bit versions of alsa plugins and other packages for your audio driver/system.
For more detailed information, see http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar ... fectSetup/, paragraph "ALSA Applications" or the documentation of your Distribution.

Thanks for your support, folks!