It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:34 am

Post subject: problem: serious lag/crashes in rooms with too many enemies
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:27 pm 

It's just as the topic title says. I haven't had any crashes since the first time this came up, though.

What will happen is that when there's just too much going on onscreen, I experience extreme slowdown and see maybe one frame for every twenty, though due to the slowdown, that frame lasts a couple seconds.

I'm sure the issue is that my laptop just isn't powerful enough to handle that much stuff (Twerps are especially bad, btw) and this can hopefully be fixed by adjusting some of the settings in the options menu. I've already disabled the "depth of field" after the crash, but I'd like to know what else I should adjust to hopefully eliminate the problem while keeping as much of the visual effects as possible.

Post subject: Re: problem: serious lag/crashes in rooms with too many enem
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:24 pm 

Hey. Sad to hear you got the game to crash but I can tell you - it can be pretty demanding. Joe can probably give you a few more hints on that but probably it might be good to know which hardware we are talking about. And the operating system might be helpful, too.

I have noticed that the game can go consume over 1GB of VRAM. Since you have a laptop, I am not sure if you have shared memory, but if you do, try to give it 2GB of it. Same goes with RAM. The game usually stays at ~800MB of RAM for me but I could imagine it could go higher, too. So in worst case, you could activate a swap file. This should hopefully eliminate the chance of a crash.

Depth of Field is definitely a good thing to start. In my opinion, you can get rid of Dynamic Shadows, too. Most Shadows in the game are static and chances are, disabling Dynamic Shadows is something that brings you a few FPS but you won't notice them gone. Motion blur might also help. This is something you should set to your personal taste anyways, so check if you like the effect or not. It doesn't bring much but if you like a crisp image (even in much movement) more, then it might be helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hm..unfortunately, if it's your CPU that's bringing performance down and you have an older machine, there might not be much that will help. Tower of Guns has a very high minimum spec requirement for that reason--a LOT of stuff gets thrown around on screen at once--much more than most other FPS games. However, I've found that you can help performance by disabling everything in the options menu, freeing up some extra space on the hard drive, and making sure your drivers are all up to date. Oh, and sometimes restarting your computer will help performance tremendously!
Hopefully one of those helps you out!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:23 am 

My laptop isn't old old. It's from January of this year, so it has no problems most of the time.

So I went ahead and disabled all the visual effects and whatnot, and it's definitely helped. Now, those super-crowded screens are just a bit slow and choppy, rather than to the ridiculously unplayable degree it was earlier.

Thanks for the help, and I'm absolutely loving this game!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Oh! If its a recent laptop, does it have dual GPUs (like an integrated intell one + nvidia one)?

Those onboard-intergratedGPUs tend to be leaned on a lot more than they should for some games, and setting the laptop to Highperformance in the GPU settings will force to use the better card, which can help Tower of Guns DRAMATICALLY. If you're laptop is like that, give that a try!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:04 pm 

No, just the one, an Intel HD Graphics 4000, so that's not an option. I'm using a MacBook Pro 13-inch... mid-2012. I did not realize this last bit until just now.

I guess that explains my problem. There's probably nothing more I can do about it at this point, oh well. Thank you for trying to help.

On a side note, while fiddling around trying to figure all this out, I learned that ToG, while doing nothing but idling on the menu screen, uses 110-120% of my CPU. I'm amazed and very glad it runs as well as it does.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:33 pm 

If you don't have VSync enabled, the game will try to render as many frames as possible. So even in the main menu it may use up all your CPU and video card resources.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:22 am 

Thanks, turning VSync on seems to have helped quite a bit.

On an unrelated note, I just had my fiftieth run, and it was very ridiculous. I took advantage of it to finally uber win with Nightmare perk. Thank you Joe!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:18 am 
Site Admin

:-)