It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:38 am

Post subject: Walking forward sticks with DX9 MSAA on
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:36 pm 

I love this game. Totally love it.

I have a tiny little problem that popped up when I turned on my DX9 MSAA - walking started to stick, only forward movement with the "W" key. When I let go of the W button, it continues to walk for a half second.

This has gotten me killed in the game many times, so I turned off MSAA and it works fine.

I have a DELL XPS laptop with a notoriously terrible Nvidia graphics card, so it might just be my card.

Post subject: Re: Walking forward sticks with DX9 MSAA on
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:26 pm 

I found it does continue walking with all of the graphics settings off. It is not sticky keys and it only happens on forward walk. It happens on any key I bind to walk as well.

No matter what, if I hold down walk forward for more than a second, when walk forward is release, it continues to walk for a second.

Honestly, it's getting pretty annoying.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Hm...this is a new on to me. You've already crossed off sticky keys, so it's not that...but I haven't heard of anyone else with this issue. Does it happen to you in any other FPS games recently--particularly other recent Unreal titles (goat simulator, borderlands 2, bioshock infinite) games or UDK games (like antichamber)? Do you have a controller plugged in? Do you have a second keyboard lying around to try?

It *could* be something related to UDK native code...and if so it might be tricky for me to fix since I don't have access nor the experience to poke around in UE3's native, but given that no one else has reported the issue (yet) I'm thinking the first thing to cross off the list would be your hardware.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:08 pm 

It doesn't happen in any of the other UDK games or any other games for that matter.

BUT I think I narrowed it down to the wireless Xbox controller. Although it is not plugged in or running, Tower of Guns has the controller button icons on all of the time now.

I will have to remove the drivers and try it.

Meanwhile, however, I noticed a new problem. When I play ToG a whole bunch (like hours... I'm a fanatic) and die, I start again in the Foyer and the second door and surrounding wall disappear. A soon as I approach, the music stops and the game crashes. Then it locks my laptop.

It's just the system dying after being loaded for such a long time and I wouldn't be surprised if the system stops loading because of heat. I don't thing it's a ToG-specific problem.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hm...if it IS heat, you might want to consider locking the framerate to help keep the CPU from overworking.
To do that, go to the UDKEngine.ini file (located in C:\\Steam directory\TowerofGuns\UDKGame\Config\):
by setting:
bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=30
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=32
(or 60-62)
That's normally not something gamers like to do, but it can smooth out wild framerate fluctuations, which might be kinder on your machine.

Depending on your machine that might not help at all, but it's worth a shot.

As for the controller, it *might* be the issue--I have seen some oddities with controllers left plugged in...but I havent gotten much feedback from the wireless folks..so who knows. Also, those xbox icons are always there now just because that was the easiest way to implement it. If you do uninstall the controller and it solves the problem, please let me know.

Goodluck!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:03 am 

Dude, I appreciate your work on the game and all of the follow up issues.

I will continue to play until my computer fries!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Well, hopefully that doesn't happen--but im glad you enjoy the game! :-)